Useful Information

Permanent Residence document for EEA nationals and their families. 

Useful Links

Child Maintenance Calculator




Free advice in different languages

Government information and services

Health care choices

Health Services Finder

Health and Safety at work

Latvians in the UK  /

Latvian News -

Latvian advertisement portal -

Lithuanian website about Anglia

(news, adverts, companies, life in UK, ESOL etc)

Official document translations

OISC Immigration adviser finder

The Adviser Finder lists advisers who are regulated by the OISC. 

Roma Support Group

Primary school place applications

Leeway - Norfolk Domestic Abuse help 

0300 561 0077    


Suffolk Domestic Abuse Help

Free 24hr help - 0800 977 5690

Rape Crisis

Support for women & girls -     

Safeline National Male Survivors helpline: 0808 800 5005

The Samaritans 

Whatever you're going through, a Samaritan will face it with you. We're here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Call 116 123    

Shelter UK 
Free help with housing / homelessness. 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I register my child in a school? 

You will need to contact the Norfolk County Council on 01603 638036 or  You must provide your details and your children’s so that they can allocate the school in your catchment area.


2. How can I get a national insurance number?

You need to contact the National Insurance Allocation Service on 0845 6000643, and provide your personal details and the date when you moved to the UK. You will then be made an appointment at the closest available Job Centre Plus (Norwich or Ipswich). For the appointment you must take at least two forms of identification, proof of address and proof of employment if applicable.


3. How do I make a new claim for benefits?

The Job Centre will be able to help you with a new claim but you can call 0845 6088571. If you have recently been made unemployed, you will need to provide details from you P45, your personal details, income and family. Your claim will be processed accordingly to the information provided.


4. How can I get registered with a GP?

You can go to the GP surgery of your choice and ask to register. They will give you forms to fill in and if you also want to register your family, you will need to request more forms.


5. What if I’m at risk of becoming homeless?

You will need to contact the local authority (01493 856100) and explain your situation in detail. You might also want to visit them at Greyfriars House. If you need an interpreter, they will be able to provide one.

6. What is Universal Credit and how can I make a claim?

Universal Credit is a new benefit which replaces the following benefits:


  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Income based Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income Support

  • Tax Credits

  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit claim is done and managed online. You will need the following information:


  • An active email address

  • Your full name, address and phone number

  • Your National Insurance Number

  • Your employment details

  • Your landlord’s name, address and phone number

  • Your most recent tenancy agreement

  • Details of your family members to be included in the claim


7. Where can I find a job?

You can visit the Job Centre or contact the Jobseeker’s phone line (0845 6060234) for the latest vacancies being advertised through the job centre; you can visit the local employment agencies and register with them; you can check the local newspapers such as The Advertiser, Mercury, The Jobseeker; or you can go online.


8. Why do I have to pay council tax?

In the UK, we all need to pay council tax which is calculated according to the property we live in. The amount will differ from household to household and if you are entitled to council tax benefit. This money will go towards infrastructure in the area, police, waste collection, schools and more. If you have difficulty paying it, you should contact Greyfriars House.


9. I’m new to the country and I have just rented out a house. What should I look out for?

Make sure that you view the house before signing any documents. If you think the house has any problems, you should make sure that they are resolved before moving in. Any money that you pay to your landlord or lettings agency, make sure that you get receipts and always read your tenancy agreement.


10. How do I apply for Child Benefit or report changes?

You can apply online t and make changes at or phone them on 0845 3021444


11. My child was born in Great Yarmouth; how to register her/his birth?

You will need to contact Register Office on 01493 445112 or at


12. How can I legalise a document?

You will need to send a letter explaining what documents you need to legalise. Then you need to send it to the Legalisation Office, Norfolk House (West), 437 Silbury Boulevard, Milton Keynes, MK9 2AH with the completed Legalisation Application form and with £30 postal orders (if you want the documents sent back by special delivery, you can send £36 postal orders or a pre-paid, self-addressed envelope).

  • Facebook
  • GyrosOrg

Registered Charity no: 1110281.

Gt Yarmouth Refugee Outreach & Support Ltd.